40% of medical waste is disposed by the certified enterprises

Medical facilities generate a huge amount of waste that carries risks of chemical, toxic, carcinogenic, mutagenic and radiation effects on human health. Especially the number of Medical waste has increased due to the COVID-2019 pandemic.

The details of the disposal of such waste and the problems faced by recycling companies comments Viacheslav Syomik, CEO of “DSL-2010”- Member of the Association of Waste Management (WMA).

 

“Today 40% of medical waste is disposed of by certified enterprises. But what happens with the other 60%? ”- the problem must be examined.

 

According to Viacheslav Syomik, there is a key factor in the issue of medical waste disposal that needs to be solved – the mix of medical waste by the creator (the medical institution)

“Recycling companies throughout the country receive mixed, not sorted, waste from medical institutions – syringes, droppers, linen and food waste and other. The whole quantity in one container. This type of waste forming overloads the equipment. Now it is a burning issue due to their increase, due to the Coronavirus,”- explained the CEO of DSL-2010.

 

The ways of solution may be:

 

adoption of the Law 2207-1-d “On waste management” and sectoral laws;

development and approval of a tariff grid for hazardous waste disposal;

inspection of hospitals for compliance with environmental legislation;

high-quality waste management;

quality of work and transparency of contractors providing services to the medical institution.

 

“Medical institutions should pay more attention to contractors, monitor their transparency and quality of service, and not try to “grab” the lowest price. According to the experience – dumping on the market is a way to illegal landfills and environmental pollution,” – Viacheslav Syomik stressed.

 

In his opinion, most hazardous waste recyclers are responsible market participants and insure each other in their work, because logistics periodically becomes unprofitable in case of time and resources. The lack of a tariff grid complicates the work nowadays.

Calendar

October 2021
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Фотогалерея

Відеоогляд

Play Video

Contacts

About us

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWS


    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *